Create positive change for people and their world.
- Leadership. Long term vision/strategy, public speaking, networking.
- Creativity. Envisioning (imagining), idea shaping, problem solving.
- Helping. Teaching, mentoring, coaching.
- Technical. Software (C/C++, Java, C#, arduino, assembly, simple html/css, etc), real-time graphics (especially VR and AR),
signal processing (audio, video), hardware (low power analogue, simple logic, etc).
- Health/wellbeing. Managing physical and psychological stress through an approach based on Tai Chi & Meditation.
- Member of the IEEE, Fellow of the HEA, Advanced Instructor Member of the Tai Chi Union of Great Britain.
Experience & Interests
I have worked in various fields of Electronics Engineering for 34 years,
and I have worked in technology R&D for broadcast and media since 1996, mainly focused on VR-related technologies.
The teaching element of my role at the University of Worcester is on Software Engineering and Game Design/Development.
In both of these areas I employ a values-based approach to problem-based learning,
drawing on my industrial experience to provide meaningful real-world examples.
Much of my work at the BBC was focused on AR, VR, and cutting-edge video formats in TV/Movie production applications.
Although I remain interested in media and arts applications,
my remit has broadened to include applications related to health and physical activity.
Health, Fitness, and Wellbeing
Alongside this, I have pursued my interests in hypnosis, meditation, and internal martial arts for over 20 years,
and I now teach and practice Taijiquan, Qigong, and Meditation.
I also offer coaching/consultancy services to support workplace wellbeing,
drawing on this knowledge in conjunction with modern technologies that support wellbeing in the workplace.
- Course Development. I lead the team on design and delivery of advanced OO design & programming modules at levels 5 and 6,
which employ Java, C#, and C++ in a problem-based approach, covering basic principles through to advanced design patterns.
I received a number of Studentsí Choice Awards nominations since 2014 for innovative modules and teaching.
- Personal Academic Tutoring. As a part of my role at University of Worcester,
I provide academic tutoring and coaching to 50+ students on a day-day basis.
- Virtual and Augmented Reality. Ongoing work at the University of Worcester on use of modern VR, motion capture,
and other sensor technology for health and physical activity applications.
- HDR Video. My work on this began through a secondment to Bristol Immersive Technology Lab
(a BBC/University of Bristol collaboration), where I explored workflows for capture/production/display of HDR video content.
- Over 20 publications on graphics, motion capture, video, image, and audio related technologies.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Other contact details on request.